Pages

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Party Pansit Recipe

Pansit

An old Filipino saying states that eating noodles extend one's life. This is because noodles are a lot longer than rice, another Filipino staple. Right, well don't ask me the logic behind it. All I know is pansit is good.


Pansit is a traditional Filipino noodle dish that I grew up with. It's often served during birthdays and paired with lumpia, the Filipino version of spring rolls. 

I made this dish for 2 pot luck parties using my family's recipe with a few tweaks of my own. It's a great potluck recipe since it taste just as good room temp as it does right out of the wok or even cold! 

PARTY PANSIT

Ingredients:

1 package rice noodles, 14 oz or 400g
2 tsp cooking oil
1 onion, sliced
5 garlic cloves , crushed
1 inch nub of ginger, crushed 
1/2 can bamboo shoots, julienned (optional)
6 fresh shiitake mushrooms, julienned
4 pieces of wood ear mushrooms, soaked & julienned
2 medium carrots, julienned
1 handful of green beans, julienned
4 bunches of baby bok choy, julienned
1 pound boneless chicken thighs, julienned
1 pound pork belly, julienned
1/2 pound shrimp, halved & chopped
1/2 cup broth or water

seasoning: 
3 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp soya sauce
3 tbsp oyster sauce
lime, sliced in wedges
salt & pepper to taste

garnish:
1 bunch of green onions, chopped

Directions:

Soak the noodles in a large bowl with warm water. Drain when soft & pliable.

In a wok, saute pork belly and chicken in medium heat until browned. Add shrimp and cook until pink. Season with salt & pepper. Remove from wok and set aside.

Sautee garlic, ginger, & onion in oil until soft. Add noodles, broth, remaining veggies & seasoning. Mix thoroughly. Cook until soft & the broth has been absorbed. 

Remove from heat. Transfer noodles into serving dishes. Spoon on chicken, pork, & shrimp. Top with lime wedges & sprinkle on green onions.

Enjoy!!!

Serves 16

Pansit Ingredients (minus the noodles & seasoning)
Pansit
This recipe actually made 2 pans pictured above. I brought one to the dinner potluck that I went to and on my way dropped off the other pan to my parents as they were also having a party.

I used key limes as they closely resemble kalamansi which is the traditional citrus garnish. 
The bamboo shoots are optional because some people find the smell & taste unappealing (my dad for example) but it was a hit with the bamboo shoots at the potluck I went to.

No comments:

Post a Comment