Pages

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps with Basil Lemon Aoli



I can't believe how fast time flies! It's been almost a month since my last post! The August weather in YYC has been better than the earlier months of summer and I've been taking full advantage with an awesome tan to prove it. This month has been full of events which included a wedding, a baby shower, & a QOTSA concert amongst others. I've also just gotten back into eating keto as of this Monday. I had a carb up weekend which turned into a carb up week last week...lol! 


The good thing is that I am in ketosis as of this morning and I'm happy it only took 2 days. I read in a couple of forums that the time it takes to get into ketosis depends on the person and getting active helps speed up the process. Thankfully, I've been on a routine for the past few months and try to do cardio, strength training, & yoga every day. Some days I only have time for one of those but one is better than none!

Now that I've been doing keto for a few months, I definitely notice the difference in the way I feel when I eat carbs vs when I'm in keto. I found that I had some trouble sleeping while on carb up and hence felt very tired during the day. I also felt bloated and actually still do today but it is my first day back in ketosis so hopefully in a few days that will go away. 

Today, I made some Spicy Pork Lettuce Wraps for dinner. I have a thriving basil plant that needed some leaves plucked as they were getting way too big so I included an easy aoli to top the wraps. This should balance out the spiciness of the pork and give it a more robust flavour. 

Here's the recipe:

SPICY PORK LETTUCE WRAPS




Ingredients:

1 tbsp bacon grease
595 g lean ground pork
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 cup diced white onion
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 cup diced green bell peppers
1 tbsp diced fresh jalapeno pepper
1 tbsp Maggi seasoning
1 tsp Mrs Dash seasoning
1 tbsp Sriracha sauce
salt & pepper to taste
12 green leaf lettuce leaves
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1/4 cup chopped cilantro

Basil Lemon Aoli:
2 tbsp minced fresh basil
3 tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 large garlic clove
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil

Directions:

For the aoli, combine all ingredients in blender. Blend until smooth & set aside. 

Heat bacon grease in a deep skillet on medium. 

Add the lean ground pork, garlic, & onion. Sautee until pork is no longer pink. 

Add tomatoes, bell peppers, jalapeno, & seasoning. Sautee until cooked. 

Serve on lettuce with Basil Lemon Aoli (recipe below) and garnish with green onion & cilantro. 

Enjoy!!!

Serves 4

Nutritional Info per Portion: 

Wrap - 420 Calories, 28.6 g Fat, 8.7 g Carbs, 1.3 g Fiber, 4.5 g Sugar
Aoli - 49 Calories, 5.1 g Fat, 0.9 g Carbs, 0.2 g Fiber, 0.3 g Sugar



No comments:

Post a Comment