Pages

Sunday, January 19, 2014

Gluten Free Coconut Flour Flax Bread


We often have a full house on NFL Sunday afternoons at home. Today, my partner Jesse had his buddies over and even had a spread of appetizers to snack on. I didn't really like watching football at first. I'm more of the play the sports instead of watch it on TV type but it's grown on me over the years. However, I do have a short attention span when it comes to watching sports on TV. So I usually busy myself doing something else while periodically hanging out and watching snippets of the game with the gang. 





Today, I decided to try making a gluten-free, low carb bread. I wasn't sure how it was gonna turn out as I used two different recipes I found online and amalgamated them into my own. I also added a few of my own personal touches like the sesame seeds. To my surprise, it actually turned out! It doesn't exactly have the consistency of a wheat bread. Jesse and his buddies said it was more like a drier banana bread texture right out of the oven but I put a couple of slices in the toaster on the highest setting until browned and it was very close. 

I made some bacon and eggs with it for dinner to complete this week's Gastropost mission. Here's the recipe: 




COCONUT FLAX BREAD

Ingredients:

1/2 cup coconut flour, sifted
1/4 cup flax seed, milled
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup almond milk
5 large eggs
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp coconut oil

Directions:

Pre-heat oven at 350°F. Grease 3x7 inch loaf pan with 1 tsp coconut oil and set aside. 

Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl. Melt 2 tsp coconut oil in a small bowl in the microwave on medium heat for 30 seconds.

Attach whisk accessory to mixer. Beat eggs until well mixed. Add melted coconut oil and apple cider vinegar and continue mixing. Switch mixer accessory to paddle. 

Slowly add all dry ingredients to wet ingredients while mixer is on medium stir setting. Mix until all ingredients are well combined. 

Pour batter in loaf pan. Sprinkle sesame seeds on top and bake for 50 minutes. 

Remove from loaf pan and cool on baking rack. Using a bread knife, slice into 1/4 inch thick slices. 

Best served toasted & buttered.  

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment